Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Re: A Farewell to Structural Engineering

Hello Bill,

I wish you the best.

I can understand the idea of going to grad school. I've thought of
doing that as well.

I've enjoyed reading you posts for many, many years, and hope that
you don't stop reading and posting here. I would third or fourth the
advice to not give up the license just yet: if for no other reason than
to give you options. It would seem that it would be good to be able
to do some engineering while in school to offset the cost of graduate
school, which isn't getting cheaper.

Thank you for all of the knowledge, entertainment and provocation
to think that you've provided to this forum.

Take Care,
Lloyd Pack
Advantage Consulting Engineers
Caldwell, ID.

On 23 Nov 2010 at 15:46, Bill Polhemus wrote:

> Hello, SEAINTers. Long time since I've checked in personally.
>
> I am now going on the sixth month of my current spate of unemployment.
> The phone does not ring. Such employment openings as I do see
> advertised, are for entry-level positions, or require expertise that I
> do not have (such as offshore platform design).
>
> I have also been struggling, not entirely coincidentally, with one of
> the worst bouts of depression with which I've ever had the misfortune
> to deal. No one's fault, really; it is what it is. But it has forced
> me into self-examination at an uncomfortable level.
>
> I haven't been happy or fulfilled as an engineer in years. I think the
> profession and I simply grew apart. If you are not a world-class
> expert - as I am not - in any particular subfield, you must perforce
> be content with "management" or some-such. And I am not that either.
>
> I have made up my mind to drop out altogether. In fact, I am changing
> course radically - something I probably should have done years ago but
> was too caught up in the practicalities of earning a living to realize
> it.
>
> I have decided to apply to graduate school with the aim of earning a
> Ph.D. in History, and remain in academia for the remainder of my life.
> It's not exactly entering the monastery, but it's almost as radical a
> departure. I have always been fascinated with all aspects of history -
> especially that of engineering and technological progress. I will
> probably focus on that, perhaps even civil and structural engineering
> history. Wouldn't that be something.
>
> At any rate, I just felt it incumbent upon me to write a brief
> swansong in this vein. Not that I expect any of you to really care,
> but it might be of interest to one or two, and so it would serve a
> purpose.
>
> Thank you all for services rendered in the fifteen-plus years that
> I've participated on this forum, and I wish all of you the very best
> of good luck in all you do.
>
> William L. Polhemus, P.E.
> Katy, Texas
>
> ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
> * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
> *
> * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
> * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
> * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * Questions to seaint-ad@seaint.org. Remember, any email you
> * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
> * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org
> ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********
>
>

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
* Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
*
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*
* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
* Questions to seaint-ad@seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********

No comments:

Post a Comment