Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Re: A Farewell to Structural Engineering

Good luck, Bill.
Even though we have disagreed in the past, I wish you the best. When I
was thinking about university approximately a century ago, I considered
history as I loved the subject and still do. As for engineering, I still
like it. but dislike all the red tape that seems to go with it now.
Fortunately up here, there has been no slow down for engineers that I
know of. As for history & engineering, I happened on to a new TV program
last night called "Genius". It was about people who invented or
discovered things, such as Alan Turing, Alexander Fleming, Frank Wittal
and one I forgot. It was narrated by Stephen Hawking. I look forward to
next week. I think there will be lots of interesting things for you to
look into.
Best of luck
Gary

On 11/23/2010 4:46 PM, Bill Polhemus wrote:
> Hello, SEAINTers. Long time since I've checked in personally.
>
> I am now going on the sixth month of my current spate of unemployment.
> The phone does not ring. Such employment openings as I do see
> advertised, are for entry-level positions, or require expertise that I
> do not have (such as offshore platform design).
>
> I have also been struggling, not entirely coincidentally, with one of
> the worst bouts of depression with which I've ever had the misfortune
> to deal. No one's fault, really; it is what it is. But it has forced
> me into self-examination at an uncomfortable level.
>
> I haven't been happy or fulfilled as an engineer in years. I think the
> profession and I simply grew apart. If you are not a world-class
> expert - as I am not - in any particular subfield, you must perforce
> be content with "management" or some-such. And I am not that either.
>
> I have made up my mind to drop out altogether. In fact, I am changing
> course radically - something I probably should have done years ago but
> was too caught up in the practicalities of earning a living to realize
> it.
>
> I have decided to apply to graduate school with the aim of earning a
> Ph.D. in History, and remain in academia for the remainder of my life.
> It's not exactly entering the monastery, but it's almost as radical a
> departure. I have always been fascinated with all aspects of history -
> especially that of engineering and technological progress. I will
> probably focus on that, perhaps even civil and structural engineering
> history. Wouldn't that be something.
>
> At any rate, I just felt it incumbent upon me to write a brief
> swansong in this vein. Not that I expect any of you to really care,
> but it might be of interest to one or two, and so it would serve a
> purpose.
>
> Thank you all for services rendered in the fifteen-plus years that
> I've participated on this forum, and I wish all of you the very best
> of good luck in all you do.
>
> William L. Polhemus, P.E.
> Katy, Texas
>
> ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
> * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
> * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers *
> Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe
> (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * Questions to seaint-ad@seaint.org. Remember, any email you *
> send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without
> your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at:
> http://www.seaint.org ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ******
> ****** ********

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
* Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
*
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*
* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
* Questions to seaint-ad@seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********

No comments:

Post a Comment